Monday, June 2, 2008

Alfred Allen - I can't wait to play Cashflow 101 again!

Hi everyone!


I played Cashflow 101 for the first time last Thursday, May 29th. I've heard that it was like Monopoly on steroids that adults could use to better understand how to get out of the rat race.

I was a little skeptical because I'm a "grown up". I haven't played board games since I was 12 years old!


Amazingly, I found it entertaining, educational and surprisingly fun. Who knew? I didn't. I'm glad my friend Earl convinced me to go.


I learned quite a few things: some opportunities are good, some not so good. Who knows what the market will do. And you just have to make the best of the situation you're dealt with if you want to win.


We only played it for a couple of hours and our board leader Maxine eased us into game. She helped all of us by explaining what to look for in certain investments and to keep a positive attitude. I didn't understand that last part until I played Cashflow 101 yesterday.


Suffice as to say, Maxine got out of the rat race first. I was close behind and almost landed on my big dream. I almost won, but it was getting late and we had to stop for the night.


I learned two big lessons that night. Finances could be fun and you just have to play the cards you're dealt with sometimes.


One of our players that night, "C", played Cashflow for the first time that night as well. She landed on the charity square. She didn't give to charity. In her following turns, she acquired quite a few "do-dads", had a baby, was down-sized and the few times she got opportunity cards, they weren't very profitable. Her experience with the game wasn't the same as mine.


I was fortunate to land on opportunity a few times. I bought a 3/2 house and made some good money right away. I parlayed this opportunity into several big deals that got me out of the rat race fairly quickly. I really enjoyed this game! This isn't so hard. I could probably apply some of this experience in real life.


Well, I couldn't wait to play this game again. My friend Jason invited me to another game yesterday. I was feeling good. I couldn't wait to be making big deals and learning more about this game. I was going to tear this game apart and win this time!


I'm not sure if I was a little too cocky and fate put me in my place, but the dice were just not going my way. I landed on "do-dads", missed the opportunity squares and had a baby! Well, that was an eye-opener. That's something I just wasn't expecting. ;) I thought I could get back into the game, but I landed on the dreaded "downsizing" square. I lost a little hope.


The game soon ended. I felt a little empty and disappointed that I didn't shine like the first time I played Cashflow. I imagined that this was how "C" might have felt last Thursday. Maybe it was just beginner's luck.


I reflected on the situation and decided that it was still a valuable experience to have. We didn't play very long, maybe only an hour. I concluded that whatever life throws at me, I have to look on the bright side of things and just deal with it.


Well, I promised myself to keep playing this game until I get better. I'm not going to let being a single parent with a newborn, who just got downsized from my job with a bunch of "do-dads" get in the way of my dream! I got plans ...I'm going sailing on my yacht in Australia! ;)

Cheers,
Alfred Allen


"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way."

Christopher Morley (1890 - 1957) www.quotationspage.com




No comments: