Monday, July 7, 2008

Earl Flormata - Book Review: Secrets of the Millionaire Mind


Another few weeks - another book read. This time, I finally got around to reading the Secrets of the Millionaire Mind - by T. Harv Eker.



I'll admit to thinking at first that this was just another one of those ra-ra think happy thoughts and good things will happen to you books, and to be honest for the most part it was, until the message started sinking through about the level of commitment that one must have to attaining any goal - be it financial freedom or otherwise.

3.5 Major things I've learned:

1) The whole mindset around money for individuals must be examined before attempting a run for their first million. Without the proper "blueprint" as the book puts it, the tools don't matter.

If you are resentful against rich people - you can never become rich yourself (because who would want to resent themselves?). So, your mission should you choose to accept it: go and meet and get to know real rich people. You'll find that many of them are the most welcoming and generous people out there.

2) Mantras or Declarations

Repetition of a set of key words, or phrases is key to embedding it into your belief system.
When I was training martial arts - one of the first things that we had to learn was the student creed. It was something that has stuck with me in memory and in spirit throughout my years.

I will develop myself in a positive manner, and avoid anything that would reduce my mental growth or my physical health.

I will develop self discipline in order to bring out the best in myself and others.

I will use what I learn in class constructively and defensively to help myself and my fellow man, and never to be to abusive or offensive.

Funny how that sounds a lot like the iPoint Mantra
To Educate, To Serve, To Profit Together.
Perhaps it's time that I went back to reciting a creed of some sort.

3) Use your God given talents!

The book quotes Acres of Diamonds:

...We preach against covetousness... in the pulpit... and use the terms... "filthy lucre" so extremely that Christians get the idea that... it is wicked for any man to have money.
Money is power, and you ought to be reasonably ambitious to have it! You ought because you can do more good with it than you can without it. Money printed your Bibles, money builds your churches, money sends your missionaries, and money pays your preachers.... I Say, then, you ought to have money. If you can honestly attain unto riches.... it is your ... godly duty to do so. It is an awful mistake of these pious people to think you must be awfully poor in order to be pious

I love this part of the quote. "Godly duty to do so". My only true ability seems to be simplifying the complicated, and presenting it in a manner that compels people to take action to learn more. If that's my gift - then I commit to serving others - and helping people find ways to reach their Infiniti Point.


3.5) Want, Choose, Commit - 3 levels of dedication

Stealing a counting system from Gitomer - there are truly 3 levels of dedication in this world.

I WANT
I CHOOSE
I COMMIT

I want is the rudimentary - it'd be nice to have, but I'm not willing to REALLY work for it.
I choose is the next step - electing to learn more and do better, however...
I commit - forfeiting every other possibility save for the goal in mind - is the only tried and true way of making what you want to happen, happen.

So hear this - should I take you on as an Infiniti Point member - I require that you raise to the same level of commitment to educating yourself, as I commit to giving you access to the resources I have at my command to bringing you towards Infinity.

Thanks for the book and the inspiration Harv.

Thanks for Reading,
Earl Flormata

No comments: